More thoughts on numbers
So, is the fact that I'm even making another entry on this a sign that maybe our culture worries about numbers too much.
Last Sunday a visiting pastor asked me how the ministry was going. I was actually embarrassed and scared too answer him with what I was really feeling. I answered with all the positives, but what I was really feeling was that ministry is going lousy. Why? Because we've been averaging less than 50 students a week the last month. What does that say about my leadership ability, or does it say anything? It could be argued that getting even forty students who don't seem interested in God to come and listen to some "old folks" talk about God would be major victory. On the other hand, when I first came here, we averaged over 80 students a week, and it's been slowly going downhill ever since. So, while I can name a dozen positive things that are happening, I worry about what's not happening and how it reflects on my ability to pastor students and lead a ministry. What does that say about what I truly value, and what I believe others value about youth ministry (especially those I respect, or who have authority in my life)?
Tonight's ministry was fantastic. I got to sit and talk with many students. I got to visit with Heather, who rarely comes. I got to encourage two student volunteers by modeling how to build relationships. This morning I got to visit with Michael. There were a lot of great moments of just touching the heart of a student. That's what ministry is about, and what I struggle to do when we have 60, 80, or 100 students here. I struggle to touch students' hearts when I have to run a program designed to bring in 100 students or more. So, Ive come to a conclusion that I'm not comfortable with because of what's been ingrained in me, but I'm trying so hard to believe is true, and put that belief into practice (whatever the outcome, or whatever it looks like): I don't like doing whatever it takes to get large numbers of students through the doors. I like to simply be with students, and whoever shows up shows up. It's in a situation like that that my passion is ignited, because then I can go deep into a students' heart, and I have the time to do so. Programs are nice, and they have a place that I need to go regularly. Those who can reach out to large numbers of students are needed, as we want to reach as many as possible. I'm just not that person. I'm not okay with that, but I want to be, I need to be, and I'm going to be... eventually. Now, what will youth ministry look like because of that?
Last Sunday a visiting pastor asked me how the ministry was going. I was actually embarrassed and scared too answer him with what I was really feeling. I answered with all the positives, but what I was really feeling was that ministry is going lousy. Why? Because we've been averaging less than 50 students a week the last month. What does that say about my leadership ability, or does it say anything? It could be argued that getting even forty students who don't seem interested in God to come and listen to some "old folks" talk about God would be major victory. On the other hand, when I first came here, we averaged over 80 students a week, and it's been slowly going downhill ever since. So, while I can name a dozen positive things that are happening, I worry about what's not happening and how it reflects on my ability to pastor students and lead a ministry. What does that say about what I truly value, and what I believe others value about youth ministry (especially those I respect, or who have authority in my life)?
Tonight's ministry was fantastic. I got to sit and talk with many students. I got to visit with Heather, who rarely comes. I got to encourage two student volunteers by modeling how to build relationships. This morning I got to visit with Michael. There were a lot of great moments of just touching the heart of a student. That's what ministry is about, and what I struggle to do when we have 60, 80, or 100 students here. I struggle to touch students' hearts when I have to run a program designed to bring in 100 students or more. So, Ive come to a conclusion that I'm not comfortable with because of what's been ingrained in me, but I'm trying so hard to believe is true, and put that belief into practice (whatever the outcome, or whatever it looks like): I don't like doing whatever it takes to get large numbers of students through the doors. I like to simply be with students, and whoever shows up shows up. It's in a situation like that that my passion is ignited, because then I can go deep into a students' heart, and I have the time to do so. Programs are nice, and they have a place that I need to go regularly. Those who can reach out to large numbers of students are needed, as we want to reach as many as possible. I'm just not that person. I'm not okay with that, but I want to be, I need to be, and I'm going to be... eventually. Now, what will youth ministry look like because of that?
Labels: Youth Ministry
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home