Day Three Contintued
Yesterday (Day 2), I did go to the conference. The session I learned the most from (maybe I was feeling the best in the class) was Bo Boshers' class on "The Be-With Factor." The gist of it was this: We need to spend more time making disciples like Jesus did - pouring into a few students/people in large doses (not necessarily living with them, but you get the idea) instead of expecting to see large life change with little bits and pieces thrown out to large numbers of kids, plus a few weekly events. Kids need time. Time=Love, and we need to show them they are loved, and not just so we can show others that we're doing something constructive. We need to love them because we love them. I love Cory. I love Phillip. My job doesn't allow me to spend as much time with them as I'd like, which is a weakness in the job, but the point is that I believe in these two young men, and I need to pour into them through time. To pour into more than 5-10, or even 12, students, while also trying to care for all other students at a more surface level, is asking for burn-out, frustration, and to not do anything well. For me, as the director, that also means that some of those 5-12 need to be our staff/volunteer team, such as Dave, Jon, and Clint. This also means that I need somebody doing that for me. The struggle is that people have this expectation of the pastor/director that he'll be able to pour into all of us like that, and it's just not possible. In fact, the pastor's not supposed. He's supposed to train others to do so. The problem is that we, as a church in general, have this tendency to believe that we're supposed to be poured into, and we don't go and pour into others. Our cups are overflowing (or we want them to be), and all of it is going to waste because we don't overflow into somebody else's cup. Of course, that's a generalization, but it's been pretty accurate in my recent experience. Why? Because we're all too busy. but I'm getting into a rant that's best saved for another time and discussion. Anyway, the session was great, encouraging, and challenging. I'm not sure I'll buy the book yet, but the concept is definitely well worth praying over and pursuing.
I went to another class on building community. Here's the lesson, in short that I got out of it (that even applies to the above paragraph): Building community is more about time together being, playing, and learning (shared experiences) than about a curriculum that teaches (book knowledge). Both are good, but if one or the other is unbalanced, then you have an unbalanced growth, which can lead to all sorts of fall out.
I wish there was somebody here I could share this with. Maybe another time. At least I can share an audio CD or DVD with a few of my youth pastor buddies... I hope.
I went to another class on building community. Here's the lesson, in short that I got out of it (that even applies to the above paragraph): Building community is more about time together being, playing, and learning (shared experiences) than about a curriculum that teaches (book knowledge). Both are good, but if one or the other is unbalanced, then you have an unbalanced growth, which can lead to all sorts of fall out.
I wish there was somebody here I could share this with. Maybe another time. At least I can share an audio CD or DVD with a few of my youth pastor buddies... I hope.
Labels: Personal, Youth Ministry
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home