Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Bob's Island Getaway

Tomorrow we leave for the San Juan Islands for "Bob's Island Getaway." We will be taking 10 gals, and 5-7 guys (depending on who comes through tonight). I am excited about this from a camp standpoint. I love taking students to camp, and this one is going to be a blast. The small groups are based in homes, the program is short and to the point, yet attention grabbing, and, to quote my son's Calvin and Hobbes, "The Days Are Just Packed." The students will have the opportunity to sea kayak, play basketball, lounge on a yacht, or play the always popular paint ball game. All around, it's a great camp geared towards non-Christian students, and we're taking quite a few and joining up with almost 100. I can't wait to see what God's going to do.
On the other hand, as a director, Bob's is slightly stressful this year. One of our female volunteers had to pull out due to pregnancy complications, and we haven't been able to replace her. We have 10 girls who need to be broken into two small groups. We have a plan "B", but it's still been difficult and frustrating because, ultimately, I perceive it reflects on my abilities to lead, and that's frustrating. I want to lead well, but when leading volunteers, these things happen. It's also stressful because we wanted to recruit 25 students, and we're ten short. How do I balance the fact that, reality is, the camp couldn't get enough host families for us all had I been able to, with the fact that I committed to bring 25 students? From a different angle, we used to take over 100 to Rendezvous. Why do we struggle so much now? Again, it reflects on my leadership. I'm just not sure how. I'm trying to figure that one out.
So, the question has arisen talking with some of the directors, "Why does Y.L. have little trouble recruiting for a camp that costs 4-5 times as much, and we struggle?" Is it the demographics of whom we reach vs. them. It's not the locations, as they're in a few small towns, too. A question for another time.
If you're reading this over the weekend, please be in prayer for Bob's Island Getaway, and the students we're taking. Please pray for transportation safety, good weather, sanity and rest (occasionally) for the staff (Paul, Dave, Rose, and ??), and, most of all, please pray for students to take steps towards growth in Christ, or salvation, as needed for each student. Thank you for praying. I'm looking forward to God doing some great things amongst the students.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home